- Project Feeder Watch starts and extends until April, www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw
- Feeders get busier as the month progresses.
- Open water is important if there's an early freeze. Put out heated bird baths for a winter water source.
- American Goldfinches arrive in large numbers. Keep those finch feeders filled!
- Number and variety of wintering hummingbirds begins to build on Coast.
- Resident birds that may have left their home territory return for the winter.
- Waterfowl migration peaks this month.
- Franklin's Gulls pass through in large numbers on their way to wintering grounds of the coast of Chile.
- Common Loons and Bald Eagles arrive from the north.
- Northern Gannets arrive along the SE coast.
- Fall begins for most migratory waterfowl.
- The fall migratory population of the Sandhill Crane peaks in mid-November.
- Leonid meteor shower is mid-month.